"You can't make somebody understand something if their salary depends upon them not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair

Thursday, April 19, 2007

the killer's parents

Like everyone else, I have utterly shocked by the events that happened at Virginia Tech. It was strange how it impacted me. I didn't know anyone there, but the tragedy hung over me like a dark cloud, and as more of the story unfolded, it became worse.

To date, though, the media has covered a lot on the victims, the survivors, and the killer, but I was surprised how little has been told about the parents. Who are they? What do they feel? I cannot imagine how incredibly guilty and wretched they must feel, for their own son (whom they love, I'm assuming) to be part of this heinous crime; to see his photos uploaded on the media; to see his mad video rants reported on television and across the Internet.

Understandably, they would want privacy, and perhaps the media is respecting that. The little I've read about, is that they were poor in South Korea before moving to the United States. I heard he had a sister but I'm not sure.

Still, one can't help but feel that their lives are over. It has been devastated. And this killer, in all his self-righteous declarations, even if he hated the "rich kids", perhaps he ought to have considered how he also destroyed his own parents' lives.

No comments: